The finished dresser

If YOU are ever on the hunt for a dresser to ‘use as an art canvas’ and do a unique paint job on; THIS is exactly what you want to look for:

- perfectly clean lines on the front.  No ‘fancy stuff’ on the drawers.  (just like this one!)

- little to NO space between the drawers.   (just like this one!)

- as few knobs/pulls as possible.  (just like this one!  BUT, you can always fill in extra holes with putty)

And while this dresser WAS ‘the perfect candidate’ for the ART DRESSER I’ve been itchin’ to create . . . . I chickened out! I’m just NOT QUITE to the point where I can AFFORD to say “I don’t care if it sells or not!”.  I don’t mind re-painting something a different color if it has sat and not sold for a long time; (and HAVE done so many times!)  but I don’t want to have to spend DAYS removing an old design.   

SO, I went with my original thought and as someone commented, just did some unique drawer pulls.   My thinking is that knobs are super easy to change out and fairly inexpensive to buy new ones; especially when it’s as few a just four, as on this dresser.   And if everything else about the dresser was to their liking (size and paint color) that some wild and crazy knobs would NOT be a ‘deal breaker’ to a potential customer.  

These are the same wood ovals I pondered using with the numbered drawer pulls.  They were hand cut from pine years ago when I was doing primitives and folk art; so they are NOT perfectly oval.  I have 2 sizes.  The picture above is on the BACK side of the knob.  I added a thin wood piece to function as a washer, so to create a bit of space for easier handling of the knobs.

I painted the 8 individual pieces first; then glued them together with e6000.

Then after the adhesive completely dried, I sanded the edges a bit and applied a mat varnish for protection since they will be ‘handled’ a lot. (sheesh!)

Meanwhile, I had removed all the old knobs, and sanded the entire dressed.  Was HOPING to be able to get down to the bare wood, so that when I distressed it later that the brown would show through.  Alas, it had TOO many layers of paint for me to sand through; (except along the edges) so I just sanded off the sheen, then applied a coat of KILZ primer.  The above picture is BEFORE I distressed.

After distressing.  You can see a few specks of the brown undercoat, but it’s mostly the white primer that shows through where I sanded.  (it just doesn’t show UP very well in the photo!)

And there she is!   The little dresser with the funky oval knobs!

The white distressed stuff STILL is not showing through, even this close.  Trust me, it’s IS quite distressed.  

I do not typically apply varnish, or any kind of protective clear coat over my finishes.  I like to allow things to ‘continue to age’, and don’t want to worry about it getting scratched or knicked up while I haul it around.  But, as I already mentioned, I did varnish the drawer pulls, and I usually apply a coat of MAT varnish to the TOP ONLY of tables and dressers, for added durability.

Just be sure ALL your products are of the same BASE.  (ie oil based or water based)  I ONLY use water based products.  Have you ever repainted something and had it remain ‘tacky’ (sticky!) for ages???  That would be because you probably applied a water based paint over a water based; or vice versa.  Another good reason to ALWAYS sand off the old finish and/or use a GOOD PRIMER!

I must admit that I’m not as thrilled with the results as I thought I’d be.  I don’t dislike it.  I’m just not ‘over the moon’ with it.  She’ll be hanging out in storage for a short while before heading to Stars.  Michael is working on some wonderfully RUSTIC pieces made from sun bleached wood that will be going to Stars next.

 

About these ads

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: http://trash2treasure.wordpress.com/2012/07/06/the-finished-dresser/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

2 CommentsLeave a comment

  1. Have you thought about adding legs to your dresser to raise it off the floor a bit ??

    • I DO like the taller dressers with legs, Donna! Structurally though, this particular dresser was NOT a good candidate for that type of alteration. Had it had more of a ‘base board’ there would have been room to attach a base to attach legs to. Thanks for the reminder though that adding legs IS a great way to update an old dresser!

      aj


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 828 other followers

%d bloggers like this: