I am seriously dating myself by bringing this up, but my earliest ventures into crafting included ‘paper twist wreaths’.
I loved that stuff. I could sit and untwist it while watching TV for hours. So when I found a big bundle if it at a thrift store a while back, I couldn’t resist. But this newer stuff would NOT un-twist!?!? It was like it was glued in place. Just as I was about to toss it into my donate pile and send it back from whence it came; I had a brainstorm. Maybe if I spritz it with some water it will untwist??
It worked. But these were reeeeeeeeally long ropes of paper twist and my spritzing wrist tired quickly. So, I filled the sink with water, cut the ropes into more manageable smaller pieces and started dunking. That worked even better. I just had to handle it carefully while untwisting as it tore easily. Then I spent a couple of DAYS, mindlessly untwisting yards upon yards of paper twist; piling the untwisted pieces in a plastic bin.
Then I got to wondering if there were any NEW kinds of crafts that had been invented since I last played with paper twist? Off to Pinterest of course to see what I could find.
Not much! There were these . . . .Boooooooooooring!!
And this. Seriously???
Getting closer . . .but NO cigar!
The ones I used to make ended up looking more like the burlap wreaths that are so popular right now.
So, with no NEW ideas in sight; I went back to my old tried and true method.
First I cut my bigger pieces into smaller pieces. Then folded them over and stapled together. Did this until I had a while bin full of ‘petals’.
I didn’t have any wreath forms, so I made my own by gluing two circles of cardboard together, then wrapping with thin strip of paper twist. Then I started gluing the petals to the outside rim.
I prefer to NOT use a hot glue gun if at ALL possible. Tacky glue sets pretty quickly, so I put a dot of tacky glue on the petal end and then used some little clips to hold it in place while the glue set enough to hold on its own. This only worked on the OUTER row; for the rest I did have to use my hot glue gun.
Outer rim almost done. I’d let it set overnight to be sure the glue was completely dry before adding the other layers. I don;t have pictures of adding the rest of the layers, I just started at one spot and worked my way around; filling in petals wherever it looked like one was needed.
Once all the petals were in place, I added some little berries. (cut apart berry sprays from the dollar store) Back in the day, I used to dry flowers from my garden and add those to my paper twist wreaths.
Michael liked the smaller one best; I liked the bigger one!
With fall color berries.
Close up of fall berries.
I really like this lighter color!
The light colored paper was ‘softer; and more pliable than the kraft paper.
Chocolate brown with white berries.
Multi color one to use up all the left over petals!
Altogether I had enough paper to make six wreaths. They are too bulky to sell in my etsy shop, so I guess they will be going to the fall craft show.