Here’s a picture of some of them in my booth at Curiosities. And here is how I made them:
I gathered assorted thrifted pillar candle holders and a bag of styrofoam balls, also from the thrift store. (styro is CRAZY expensive to buy new!)
It took a bit of trial and error to find the stands that best fit the size of styro balls I had.
Don’t forget to try them UPSIDE down too. Oftentimes it’s a better fit. and the wider flared top as the bottom created a good visual balance.
Once all paired up I glued the styro to the base with tacky glue.
I wanted my birds to have crowns, but lately the paper and glitter crowns have been getting bent. So I formed crowns out of Fimo clay fitted to the top of the birds heads. Popped them into the oven to dry (per package instructions). Then gently popped them OFF the birds heads, to glue them on permanently with e6000.
I positioned the birds on their pedestals, then glued them on with e6000. But IGNORE that! I learned the hard way that I SHOULD have plastered my styro FIRST, then glued the birds on.
Got out mu big ole tub of joint compound and covered the styro balls with a thin layer and let dry overnight.
And NOW glue your birds onto the covered balls using e6000. Let your glue dry for a day, then add another layer of the joint compound. You can smooth out the joint compound with your hands once it’s partially dry. I wanted to leave some of the lumps and bumps for a more organic look. You can also sand off the excess lumps and bumps once completely dry.
I wanted the WHOLE piece to have that organic look, so after the second coat on the balls dried, I applied little bits ‘here and there’ on the birds and the bases. Let dry overnight again.
And sand to smooth as much as you want.
This one is a bigger ball than the rest of the others, and the base has some nice decorative indentations on it so I didn’t cover them with joint compound.
Then I spray painted then all white.
Forgot to mention that I bought the birds at the craft store. (on SALE of course!)
Did this one little one with no ball, just for some variety.
This is a batch from a couple of years ago with just the birds on white pedestals.
And some more from my ‘pre-crown’ days!
And some more! Yep! I make a lot of these, because I SELL a lot of them!
And some that I put the sheet music crowns on.
And some with glitter crowns and even as cloche toppers!