Both had quite a bit of damage to the tops, one was missing a knob and had two pretty deep burn marks; lots of ‘stickers’ to scrape off. But they were well made with dovetail joined drawers and still very sturdy. Nothing a lot of elbow grease can’t cure!
I’ll save the three knobs that came on them for another project another time. I gave them these new knobs with a skeleton key design on them. I ‘purposely’ positioned the keys facing opposite directions on the drawers. Michael thought they should be facing ‘up and down’ and both the same. I liked them better sideways and facing opposite to each other. It doesn’t REALLY matter though as they can easily be loosened and positioned however the new owner prefers.
And as I’ve mentioned before, I like to paint the backsides on vintage items. They usually use a cheap grade of wood that just doesn’t weather very well. An extra minute of painting just makes it look ‘top notch’ all over.
It’s a nice ‘added touch’ to line the drawers with some pretty paper. On these I used some vintage wall paper. Old book pages, scrapbook paper, pretty wrapping paper, old maps . . . . anything will do. Again, it only takes a couple of minutes to do, but really enhances the quality of the item.
I wasn’t entirely certain that I’d have room for them just yet. But the bit Expo sale was this weekend, and Stars had a sale for that. So I loaded them up in my car ‘just in case’. If there hadn’t been room for them, I’d be driving by my storage garage on the way home anyhow, and could have dropped them off there until I needed them.
The other night stand I had, sold over the weekend. These are $65.00 each. (it’s always best to price things ‘individually’; that way if someone only wants to buy ONE, you don’t have to re-price and re-tag them. And if they want both, it doesn’t really matter if there’s one or two price tags!