My first ‘binge painting’ in my new place is done, and everything is now stocked in my booth at Stars.
The three shelf spice rack. I debated painting a design on the back, but nothing really ‘clicked’, so I painted it the same aqua as the shelf. Lightly hand sanded along the edges to distress.
In progress. This is what it looked like after the first coat of paint. You really don’t need ‘perfect’ coverage on the first coat. As you can see, I removed the backing; originally because I was going to paint a design on it. But even if I had initially planned to just paint it to match the rest of the shelf, I’d have removed it to make painting easier.
With the back removed you have far LESS little corners to paint and you can reach the shelved from the front and back. And the backing takes about 15 seconds to paint with a roller. SO, even accounting for the time involved in removing and replacing the backing; you have saved time overall.
First I spray painted it flat black, then two coats of aqua brushed on.
The little 3 drawer jewelry chest. I gave it different knobs . . . thought about painting the knobs to match, but decided not to. If it doesn’t sell like this I can always bring it home and paint them. I used a turquoise spray paint on this one.
The ‘to paint or not to paint’ conundrum strikes again! It was just TOO plain with nothing on the front. These resin medallions were all I could find that would fit with the non-removable knobs. Added them as an after thought . . .paint them?
The inside is fully painted too . . . .
Because it HAD to be! If the inside had been white or any other complimentary color, I could have left it. I actually PREFER the inside a different color . . . just not when it means MORE work for me. (especially on such a small piece!)
The top had a few flaws that were still visible after painting, so I stenciled a fleur design in a darker turquoise . . . and hated how it looked! The contrast was TOO much. Grabbed my paint roller and started painting over it and . . . . . OH WAIT!! It looks better partially painted over . . . kind of a faded look. Old
The before. The designs on the front were ‘papered on’, but sanded of pretty easily. The KNOBS were not removable unfortunately. Had they been, I would have filled the holes and added new ones, centered on the drawers.
Even though it was unfinished wood, it still required some ‘prep work’ before painting. Raw wood will really absorb dirt and oils from usage, so if it looks dirty or grimey; give it a good sanding before you paint. As with the spice rack, I painted the backing separately BEFORE attaching it.
The Cafe do Paris tray was a half-finished project from another time. It had been base coated black, so all I had to do was paint it and stencil the design on. The black ‘edging’ was done with the paint leftover on my stenciling sponge.
Not entirely sold on the color I used for the upcycled candle holder finial. It’s one of those little free samples that Lowes has coupons for every so often. It’s almost a periwinkle . . . we’ll see if it sells, if not I can always repaint it!
I typically try to put the ‘new stock’ at the front on my booth when I restock. Reason being, most shoppers just ‘glance as they walk by’ as they walk up and down the aisles in the antique mall . . . until something ‘catches their eye’ and draws them in for a closer look. And for those who come in on a regular basis, you want them to see NEW things every time they visit.
I LOVE this little white shelf with a drawer! I have not idea what it is. My best guess is that it was used in the kitchen for cook books and the drawer for recipe cards. It’s been in my booth for quite a while. Might be time to bring it home and paint it aqua.