DRAT!!! I could have SWORN that I took a picture of this ‘nasty’ three drawer chest before I started working on it!?! Alas, apparently I did not; but from the looks of these drawers, I think you can imagine what it looked like.
Layers of old paint colors, mismatched drawer pulls . . .
Contact paper on the top?!?!? (I REALLY should have looked at this more closely and with my glasses ON; before I decided to buy it!) Fortunately, said contact paper was SO old that it was really BRITTLE, and scraped off with a paint scraper fairly easily.
And MORE contact paper was covering this mess on one side!! That ‘indent’ is far too big to just fill with wood putty. Time to get creative. (Just in case you are wondering WHERE that indent came from; this piece must have been the side drawers from a desk. And this is the side the desk top and drawer was attached to.)
The repair in progress. I found a ‘strip’ of wood that was almost the right size; then filled the rest of the gaps with bits and pieces of bamboo skewers. Sanded all that smooth, then filled any remaining gaps with wood putty.
Sanding down the top revealed more layers of colors.
Lots of pink under the brown on the drawers. Filled the holes from the previous drawer pulls.
A couple of layers of paint and lots of sanding with the orbital sander; purposely revealing some of the old pink and yellow paint on the top.
The side with the damage on the right; the good side on the left.
Good (right) and bad (left) sides again; but in better light. My ‘repair’ job IS noticeable, but not very! Most of the time, you don’t even SEE the sides of a chest when it’s in use in a home anyhow.
Found the perfect vintage drawer pulls for this piece.
Available for purchase in my booth at Stars.