MORE stripes!!!

Grabbed this ten drawer dresser at a recent rummage sale.  It was actually still sitting on its side on the hand truck when I took the picture.  It needed to stay like that overnight for a little repair on the side; and I KNEW if I didn’t take the before picture RIGHT THEN, that I’d forget!  So, please pardon this weird photo!

I quickly slapped on a bit of my beachy blue paint to see how it looked WITH the green.  Was thinking that maaaaaaaaaaybe I could leave the green and just add blue stripes.  Close, but no cigar.  Besides, the green paint was too glossy!

I gave it a good sanding (coarse sand paper on an orbital sander) and a quick coat of primer (KILZ or Zisner).

Depending on the piece, you usually don’t need to FULLY cover the surface with the primer (especially if you also sanded first!)    This is about how heavily I paint on primer. 

I wanted to do something REALLY different for the knobs.  Been finding lots of curtain rod type finials lately and I’m just DYING to use them as oversize knobs on a chest.  Alas I needed SIXTEEN knobs for this baby, so I had to create my own.  Found some old cut out stars from my primitive crafting days.  PERFECT!  Just needed to find something to back them with to raise them from the surface so you can actually grab them to open the drawers.  These old wooden wheels worked perfectly!  Glued them together with some e6000 and painted them white.

Painted the whole thing my signature beachy blue, and decided to just do stripes on the top, since the drawer pulls are so oversized.  Then sanded the whole thing.  Here you can see a little bit of that original green peeking through.

Also applied a couple of coats of matte varnish to the top for durability.

 

And then, the knobs!

What an awesome dresser for a beach cottage bedroom!

Would be great as a buffet or credenza too!

 

 

Seeing STRIPES!

I’ve been wanting to try painting stripes on furniture for a while now. 

This little TV tray revamp finally gave me the courage to give stripes a try:

The top to this TV tray was beyond repair, so I had Michael build me a new, larger top out of some cedar boards.

There wasn’t room in my booth at Stars to open it up; but here you can see that the new top IS much larger than a typical TV tray.  Michael just had to move the ‘end stops’ out farther to accommodate the larger top.

The thing that has ‘scared me’ about trying stripes thus far is getting them perfectly spaced.  Seems like SOOOOOOOOOO much work!  Measure. Mark.  Tape.  Measure.  Mark.  Tape again.  With THIS project I already had two perfectly spaced lines since we used three pieces of wood.  So from there I was just able to ‘eyeball’ my tape lines.  Not bad for a first attempt, eh?!?

NOW I want to paint stripes on EVERYTHING!!!  This chair was one of my very first make overs; back when it wasn’t really even a ‘thing’.  I found the chair in the dumpster corral at my apartment and dragged it home.  Don’t have a before picture or even an after picture of its first re-do.  I had covered the seat and made a skirt out of some pretty yellow and pink rose material.  And it promptly became the cats favorite napping spot, underneath the skirt!

I’ve re-dome quite a few chairs of late;  getting NEW foam cushions and fabric.  But they haven’t sold very well and I think it’s probably because of the price.  But DANG!  New foam for the seats is EXPENSIVE!  Even at half price it’s spendy.  So I decided for this re-do to NOT pad and cover the seat so I could price it lower and see if it sells better.

And I decided to paint stripes on the seat so it wasn’t so plain.  Again, I just ‘eyeballed it’ when applying my painters tape for the stripes.

I considered also striping the back, but that might be TOO much, so this is it for now.  Do the stripes look too terribly not perfect to you?

Victim number 2 of my painting stripes binge; a little 3 drawer chest from the thrift store.  Little chests like this ALWAYS sell almost instantly; so it will be interesting to see if it goes as quickly with the stripes.

This baby required some SERIOUS sanding before I could paint it.  See all that carving on the top?!?!

I painted the whole thing aqua, then added white stripes; then sanded to distress.  

You can even see a little bit of the yellow which was under the original white.  Again, with this one, I didn’t ‘measure’ my tape lines for the stripes.  I started my first tape line across the center where the knob hole was, then added one more strip of tape above and below.

Stripe victim #3 is a sturdy (Heavy!) oak end table.  Gave it a good sanding, painted aqua, then the white stripes; then sanding to distress.

On this one, I did measure to find my center for my first tape line; then eyeballed it from there.

The distressing really hides any imperfections.  I think I’ll call these my ‘Cabana Collection’. 

They will ALL be going to Stars as soon as I have room for more new stuff.