Sometimes, your answer LITERALLY falls from the sky!

Remember my ‘Yard Debris Wreaths’ from a while back?

I had added the nests and birds ‘as a finishing touch’, but they STILL didn’t feel done.  But I had NO idea what else to do!!  Some of you suggested adding a tag; which I tried – and nixed.  They are so ‘organic’ that the tags looked out-of-place.

P1250263

The one with the nest AND bird is hanging on my front door, and the one above on the shutter door to a cabinet in my living room.

P1250262

EVERY time I looked at them, I think: “They STILL need something!”  But I don’t know WHAT!!  sigh.

Then, while I was out working in my yard last week, picking up pine cones from the grass, I came across ONE of the wispy tree twigs that I had used to make the twiggy wreaths a while back.  It was just ONE little branch, and I still have a whole basketful of them leftover in my garage, AND about 15 wreaths already made; so I was just going to toss it into my yard debris bin along withe the pine cones.

Then BAM!!! Major BRAINSTORM!! 

THIS (this little twig that I had in my hand) is exactly what the moss and bark wreaths need!!!!

P1260309

It’s a very subtle added touch, but just that little ‘something more’ that they needed to feel ‘finished’.

The twigs show up much better in person.  So after I did the one on my front door with the branch I had just picked up in my yard; I went to my stash in the garage to find some to add to the other wreath.

P1260330

I seriously LOVE these wreaths now!

And I kinda think I like the asymmetry of the second one MORE.

P1260329

This is what I used to attach the twigs.  First I found the ‘spot’ that I wanted it to originate from and ‘punched a hole’ into the wreath with the point of my scissors.  I squeezed a fair amount of tacky glue into the hole and inserted the thick end of my branch.

Then I ‘played around’ a bit with positioning the wispy branch ends.  When I found the spot I wanted them to stay in, I used the floral pins (shown above) pushed in to hold them down.  It was a little tricky to find a spot that the pins would GO through, between the pieces of bark.  Then I just glued another little piece of moss on top of the pin to disguise it!

Do you agree with me that this was the perfect finishing touch for these wreaths?

Sometimes, your answer LITERALLY does, fall from the sky!

Time off to recover from surgery.

P1220895

Happy October!!P1220982

FINALLY had my carpal tunnel surgery!  That big ole bruise goes through to the top of my hand also!  Needless to say, I will be ‘out of commission’ for a while.

P1220883I did get a few more blue / grey pumpkins painted up for my front porch before surgery.  I had actually found one REAL greyish-aqua pumpkin at the grocery store; piled in with all the white pumpkins.  It didn’t have a stem, so I added one.

P1220892A medium branch had fallen from the tree in my front yard.  I chopped it up for the real pumpkin and used it on the fake ones that had ‘removable’ stems.
P1220894

Saved some of the scraps of the branch and just laid them around the pumpkins.

P1220889The smallest one was originally black, which showed through a bit when I sanded.

P1220881This one is my LEAST favorite.  It has that ‘plastic glitter stuff’ on it.  Teeny tiny clear plastic spheres . . . soaked up paint and the antique glaze, like a sponge.  Hence, the lines of glaze would not ‘blend out’ very well.

P1220887This one had a crackle finish originally.  I had hoped the cracks would show up better. The stem hole was too big for just one stick, so I did a double on this one.

P1220893

This is how the antiquing medium was supposed to work!

P1220885

This is a styro one; painted grey and antiqued.  Not really enough ‘texture’ for the antiquing medium to settle into.

P1220884One of the larger ones withOUT a removable stem, so I just painted it brown.

P1220886Small grey one with painted stem.

P1220895The benches are ones that Michael built for me a while back.  I had intended to use them for my coffee table, but until I make room for them inside, they are on my front porch.

P1220875Thrift store red berry wreath on my front door.

P1220878I used some of the skinnier parts of the branch that I cut up for the pumpkin stems to add to the berry wreath.  Just ‘tucked them in’ and wrapped them with the berry wires to hold them in place, so they are removable if I want to change it later.

WHEW!!!  That post wiped me out.  Gotta go ice my hand and rest a bit.  Will be a week or more before I can post again.