I was getting ready to pack away all my Christmas crafting supplies, and sorting the vintage ornaments I had by color to see IF I needed to look for more in the after-Christmas sales; and if so, what colors.
It ‘looked like’ I had enough on hand to make another wreath; and I decided to go ahead and do so while the steps were stiff fresh in my mind.
I elected to make this one using a slightly smaller ‘dynalite’ (that stuff that is denser and CHEAPER! than styrofoam).
Decided to cover this one with some tinsel garland before adding the ornaments; with the hope that IT would show through the ‘bare spots’ and I’d not feel compelled to fill every tiny nook and cranny.
Kind of cute even withOUT the ornaments added!
First layer. (btw, the hot glue sticks MUCH better to the tinsel that it does to the fabric that I used to wrap the first one. First layer; frosted white and rose gold med/lg ornaments.
Second and interior layer; shiney rose gold and gold ornaments.
Third layer; assorted med / lg ornaments ‘wherever they fit’. The next few layers are assorted smaller ornaments to fill in the holes.
Alas, the gold tinsel ‘base-coat’ did NOT do the trick for me. I LIKED it and will definitely continue to make the wreaths that way; but I still needed some ‘filler’ for bare spots. This is where I had tucked in the snippets of white berries on my first one. All I could find to use on this one was this mini star garland.
I clipped it into 5-6″ lengths and twisted the ends together and ‘flared out’ the ends to make a “Y” shape, so they looked like this teardrop shape. I made a LOT of these!
Put some hot glue on the “Y” part and tucked them into all the bare spots.
And around the outside edge.
I just kept rotating the wreath and filling in the bare spots.
The more I added, the more I liked it! I wasn’t sure about mixing the regular gold with the rose gold, but I like the combination just fine!
With tacky glue I glued a strip of fabric for it to hang from. It would probably be easier to add your hanger FIRST; but I find that the finished wreath looks better from a certain angel. So I pick the best angel and add the hanger so it hangs that way.
LOVE how the color looks in this picture; almost a sepia tone look!
I think I like this one MORE than the first one.
Here’s a reminder of what the first one looks like.
And the newest one again, against a white background and ‘truer’ to actual color.
Just FYI, the second one took about HALF as much time to make. Partly because I was more confident in the outcome and moved a little faster; and partly because the tinsel covered wreath from ‘grabbed’ the hot glue better and I didn’t have to ‘hold each ornament in place as long’ for it to set, before moving on to the next one.
I’m hoping to get brave enough next year to make some bright color ones! And now, to figure out HOW to store them safely until next year!